West Kootenay Rock Guide

pindude

The below was just sent to me by my Canadian relatives. I don't have a source other than that, but knowing the quality of stuff that comes out of Nelson, this promises to be a great new guidebook.

----------------

Subject: FYI: West Kootenay Rock Guide

*West Kootenay Rock Guide has been completed*

Nelson, BC June 14, 2009 - After two years of researching, writing, and literally climbing the walls, the West Kootenay Rock Guide has been completed. Co-authored by Aaron Kristiansen and Vince Hempsall, the rock climbing guidebook will be launched at a party at Elephant Mountain Gallery on Friday, June 19.

West Kootenay Rock is a 160-page, full-colour, perfect-bound book that includes summaries of 24 rock climbing areas and over 400 routes around Nelson, Castlegar, Salmo, Kaslo, Rossland and the Slocan Valley (including the Valhalla Mountain range). It also includes the work of professional photographers Melissa Welsh and Steve Ogle featuring the beautiful scenery of the region and action shots of local climbers on some of the area's best routes.

"Aaron, Melissa and I have put a lot of blood and sweat into this guidebook and I'm really impressed with the final product," says Vince Hempsall. "It's beautiful - cliff topos, accurate route descriptions and access information all interspersed with amazing colour photographs."

West Kootenay Rock will be distributed by Mountain Equipment Co-op, which plans to sell it in their Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton locations, as well as smaller outdoor retail stores in Squamish, Revelstoke, Canmore, and Spokane, Washington. Locally, the guidebook will be available at Valhalla Pure Outfitters and Gravity Climbing Gym.

"We've been amazed at the hype surrounding this guide," says Vince. "On a daily basis people approach us asking, 'Is it here yet?' I think its launch is perfectly timed because we're starting to see a renewed interest in route development in the area and more and more tourists are coming to the West Kootenays to climb the spectacular rock here."

The guidebook was produced by Nelson publishing firm Wonow Media Ltd. and will retail for $26.95.

The official launch party for the book will be held at Elephant Mountain Gallery, 535 Baker St. in Nelson on Friday, June 19 beginning at 7:00 p.m. The event will feature slideshows, wine and cheese and a meet and greet with the writers and photographers.

--------------

Anyone interested in contacting the author, PM me, and I'll pass on the info.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic