Ridiculous to alpine ski down from Camp Muir?

Is it wise to alpine ski down from Camp Muir? Do people do this on alpine skis and fixed heel boots (so basically resort skiing setup). I think the slope is not too steep for me, except maybe a bit right near Muir. I have not been alpine skiing in a while, but used to be advanced beginner.

I will be hiking up to Camp Muir this coming Sun (May 10th), and thought why not add some weight to my pack (20 pounds total for alpine skis and boots, plus more personal gear... so maybe total of 35-40 pounds) and hike up. These are the only ski/boots I want to own.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like walking up to Muir make sure you know the weather predictions. White outs on the snowfield are bad bad bad.

The slope angle on most, but not all, of the Muir Snowfield is in the, "Blue Square," range for skiing if snow conditions are good. Snow conditions are often not that good. New snow and wind creates pillows of snow where parts of the pack are thick and hard to turn in while on other parts turning is easy. Knowing how to look ahead and read the snowpack is a very important skill to have.

If your skiing experience is at the ski area the Muir snowfield will be tough. You can always return to descent by walking.

Have you thought of renting an AT or Tele set up? Those would be a lot lighter. If you have skins you can ski uphill too.

I'm a total gumby skier but regularly ski down from Muir with plastic mountaineering boots.... it's not pretty, or very safe, but is a hell of a lot better than slogging down! You should give it a shot.

If you go down there on a nice weekend you'll see tons of people skiing. In bad weather it can be tough skiing and easy to get lost.

Just go when the weather is nice and you should not have too much trouble.

Thank-you all, many great points to ponder!

I have never done AT or tele skiing, so not sure if I could just pick up a rental pair and know what to do (?) HOWEVER, I am both trying to save a buck, and also get in climbing condition, so the uphill-carrying-equipment weight in my pack is an actual plus.

I am going to Rainier this coming Sunday. I am not sure what to expect, but will look at what snow has been falling if any (this week), and only pack ski's if forecast if farily steller (given my rusty skiing experience).

Thank-you summerprophet.... never knew about the alpine trekkers. I did not realize you could rent skins either. Marmot (easy access from my house), rents skins ($15/day), but does not list trekkers. So I might need to call Marmot to see if they rent them.

I assume skins and trekkers are fairly easy to figure out (how to use etc.)? I will be with some experienced randonee skiers, so they might be able to help.

I see people do it all the time. On a nice day, there is a whole herd of people climbing up there carrying skis. It's quite a slog, carrying all that weight, but if you're in good shape, why not? I've also seen people ski down from Adams, Hood, etc.

Would love a BC setup, but my problem is this: my feet --- way too wide and nothing ever fits me. My downhill ski boots are custom made (blown-in insulation etc., custom foot bed) and fit PERFECTLY.

So for the occasional 1-2x per year I might head up to Muir, maybe the Alpine Trekkers will suffice? But cannot afford those either, and like Argus said they are a "waste"?

So.... I am thinking for this weekend, just to throw boots and skis onto backpack, hike up, ski down (assuming I can see the snow surface).

You can adjust some AT bindings to fit your alpine boots. Fritschi bindings will adjust at the toe for an alpine boot. You could rent the AT skis and use your own boots.

Might not be as comfortable for the skin up as an AT boot but it has been done and I know a guy who prefers to tour with his Lange boots because he likes them for the down... which its what its all about, right? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a followup--- all went well! I was able to load up my pack for some conditioning with my alpine gear (20 pounds total). I skied down while being able to follow my route back on my Garmin GPS Forerunner watch (way cool, and very easy to glance down while skiing to make sure I was going the right way).

My husband said he has never seen such a wide snowplow in his life! ( I think I mentioned I have not skied in years, and was not that great back then either?). It was a bit difficult due to sudden boot track holes and piled up snow. Due to my abilities a few times I had to snap off my skis and walk down some steep 20 foot sections.

But lots of fun! Thank-you to all that helped me proceed!