[TR] B-Tons - Hanging Tree III A2, Superstition III C1 5/1/2009

ivan

tell me the story, wayne, puh-leeze! i figured the rurp failing me on the first and only decetn placement i coudl see was sign enough - i had plenty of hooks but didn't see where to use a one :)

no worries about fixed iron joe - there's but one fixed pin, an a angle and solid, and i don't know if it's even technically on the first pitch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ivan, the comments above weren't so much about the routes you guys did so much as a general comment about the likely state of Broughton fixed pro given what was found at Beacon. Those folks who really care about the place might want to consider a random survey sometime and check a few pins and bolts and see what you find.

Looks like you've been getting in all sorts of good training for the Valley - keep it up!

Ivan, the comments above weren't so much about the routes you guys did so much as a general comment about the likely state of Broughton fixed pro given what was found at Beacon. Those folks who really care about the place might want to consider a random survey sometime and check a few pins and bolts and see what you find.

Looks like you've been getting in all sorts of good training for the Valley - keep it up!

i know a few caring people at beacon who didn't necessarily care for some of the random stuff you have done... no offense, just sayin :wave:

broughtons seems to have far fewer fixed pins than beacon, i can only think of a couple that i've seen out there, and they've all been burly - that said, the force the superstition pin pulled under, upon examining it this weekend, does appear to be the kind typical in a big fall, so joe's point to not trust'em is valid :)

broughtons seems to have far fewer fixed pins than beacon, i can only think of a couple that i've seen out there, and they've all been burly - that said, the force the superstition pin pulled under, upon examining it this weekend, does appear to be the kind typical in a big fall, so joe's point to not trust'em is valid :)

B_eddie01.JPG

that's an awfully nice dress you have there mrs. clever

icon_ThingyAmimation.gif

i know a few caring people at beacon who didn't necessarily care for some of the random stuff you have done... no offense, just sayin :wave:

Cool, i know a few people who claim to care, but not enough to actually step up or do what might be required to actually have a shot a lifting the closure. In general, a decade of clueless fuckups and infantile posturing and attitudes relative to managing the place has left me not really caring much what those folks think... so no offense taken.

P.S. oh, and nothing I've done out there has ever been random...

B_eddie01.JPG

that's an awfully nice dress you have there mrs. clever

icon_ThingyAmimation.gif

dude, i so would have taken mrs cleaver if i'd had the chance!

and mary poppins too, i've...er...come...to discover :grin:

0208-mary_poppins.jpg

Cool, i know a few people who claim to care, but not enough to actually step up or do what might be required to actually have a shot a lifting the closure. In general, a decade of clueless fuckups and infantile posturing and attitudes relative to managing the place has left me not really caring much what those folks think... so no offense taken.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Edited by pink

Nice effort Ivan - and thanks for replacing that Pin (assuming it doesn't look like that one in Joseph's picture on the previous page).

I'd meant to go take a look this weekend, but ended up climbing elsewhere.

I agree w/ Ivan that there are relatively few fixed pins at broughton - bolts are just more prevalent there.

But there are certainly a few rarely-travelled pitches that have pins on them that could stand to be checked out or replaced by someone with the know-how.

There are really only a few routes that I can think of w/ fixed pins. There are also a few home-made bolt hangers that are equally sketchy.

...Still waiting for that Jungle Cliff TR Ivan - you might find some interesting mank out there.

what's the earliest the closure has been lifted,

since you been "back around"beacon?

just curious.....

i might have to get a real hammer first :) driving pins (and then trying to clean them) w/ a ball pien hammer, a too short leash, and a thrashed mammut sling for a funkness, on top of soloing w/ all the anchor worries, really brings out The Fear in me!

looking forward to getting down to the jungle, but first i wanna climb the upper pitches on the left side of the bat wall - no shit, that pitch that currently is chocked w/ the mega-blackberry looks like it'll be awesome once the horrorshow is chopped out.

what's the earliest the closure has been lifted,

since you been "back around"beacon?

just curious.....

you boyz are only allowed to bitch about beacon if, in doing so, you get my tr above 1500 views and thus earn me a cool flamey icon, dig, goddamitt?!?

Not at all, just commenting a lot of the routes at both places went up around the same time, by many of the same people, and if the bolts and some fixed pins are in as bad a shape there as they were at Beacon then folks might want to think about pulling some maintenance on the place.

tell me the story, wayne, puh-leeze!

Not to get back on topic or anything, but that bad rurp held and that is what I started the notorious pitch #3 bat hook ladder from. It was an Olson-made custom rurp and it was the perfect one time placement. You may have to replace it with a new hole and make it 8 in a row. The 9th piece is a really bad blade and you may have to hole it too which would make 13 continuous bat hook placements. You have my permission to put a life-saver bolt half-way up the pitch. I left the route in bad shape, thinking that no person would dare it in the future.

This was the era where I disliked gym climbing the most. Sportos seemed so snooty. We did the route in 3 stages. Gymsters found they could not free climb "Go back to the Gym' (pitch #1) I dont remember why I named it that. We were bummed when the 2nd pitch blanked out . We named it "Stay in the gym" for some reason. After acquiring a second bat hook We finished the trilogy off with Pitch#3 "Die in the Gym". It scared the crap out of me.

Over time I lost my cynicism towards indoor climbing, though every now and then....

Oh yea I took a 20 foot fall on the hook pitch too . It was on hook # 2 or 3? The hook below me stopped me from taking a 50+ footer!!!!!!!!!! Hows that for a story?

Edited by wayne1112

tell me the story, wayne, puh-leeze!

Not to get back on topic or anything, but that bad rurp held and that is what I started the notorious pitch #3 bat hook ladder from. It was an Olson-made custom rurp and it was the perfect one time placement. You may have to replace it with a new hole and make it 8 in a row. The 9th piece is a really bad blade and you may have to hole it too which would make 13 continuous bat hook placements. You have my permission to put a life-saver bolt half-way up the pitch. I left the route in bad shape, thinking that no person would dare it in the future.

This was the era where I disliked gym climbing the most. Sportos seemed so snooty. We did the route in 3 stages. Gymsters found they could not free climb "Go back to the Gym' (pitch #1) I dont remember why I named it that. We were bummed when the 2nd pitch blanked out . We named it "Stay in the gym" for some reason. After acquiring a second bat hook We finished the trilogy off with Pitch#3 "Die in the Gym". It scared the crap out of me.

Over time I lost my cynicism towards indoor climbing, though every now and then....

Oh yea I took a 20 foot fall on the hook pitch too . It was on hook # 2 or 3? The hook below me stopped me from taking a 50+ footer!!!!!!!!!! Hows that for a story?

excellent - just what i was looking for - i really didn't relish the idea of falling all that way and bouncing off the goddamn scoop - and this would explain the bizarre hole i saw too, somewhere in the scoop i think, that was right over the top of the thin crack? i was confused when i saw it, but had forgotten about it before writing the tr - the crack takes a blade or a beak i recall, but sure as hell, a nice bat hooked size hole right there! i didn't see any above the hanging belay anchor though, despite scrubbing as high up as i could reach - pity, for that i woulda definitely taken a stab at - reckon i have a reason to return now :)

to get back on the subject of bird-bitching though, i enjoyed smoking a calm cigarette while seann cleaned the traverse - at the top of a very tall tree, at my height, just 50 feet away a nesting pair of red tail hawks kept squawking, flapping and coming back and forth to their chick, totally oblivious to our existence - why can't peregrines be a chill as these fuckers, eh?