Humbugs Question

pu

Hey you folks who love montana. aka bug, powderhound, freih, etc...is the second weekend of may late enough to comfortably camp and climb at the Humbugs? Is there a water supply anywhere near the wedge?

Thanks,

Joe

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

climbed there once last August, so I don't know about this time of year. There is a sizable stream that the approach follows for a mile or so from the parking lot, but there isn't water available right near the wedge.

I found the "Butte Climbing Guide" to be a good guidebook for the area - I'll double check on the title and author, and any other pertinent info.

Edited by davidk

The west face is often climbed in late january and february, I have done several trips in may...always very good. The water next the cabin needs to be boiled there is lots of grazy cattle in the area. You can rap with one rope with a we bit on downclimbing just make sure you rap the ridge and not the noreth face, so I never see a reason to bring anything more. There might be snow on the north face side, that you decend but just bring some boots. Standard rack is pretty good, bring a good selection of small wires, hb offsets work real great out there.