depo testosterone downside?

billbob

In hope of getting a serious answer I'll just get this out: At the end of a long and unhappy marriage I started taking depo testosterone about 4 years ago and have seen all the expected benefits, not the least of which was getting my balls back along with a much-needed divorce. My doc did a lot of expensive testing and found I had a low testosterone level, which made sense given the nature of the ex. I'm now 51 and continue growing in muscle strength, still feel young and all that. I've heard of athletes using this or other steroids and having serious adverse effects. Getting old sucks, as some of you may already know. I don't over-use it and besides it's expensive and hurts from the veterinary-size needle and thick liquid injection. The questions are - alpine climbing puts a lot of strain on the heart, so is there risk of problems ? Does the heart grow like other muscles? Any other altitude-related worries? How long can I continue to do this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude,

Yes, you DEFINITELY need to chat with a doc about this. If your doc is simply replacing your endogenous levels to normal, you should be OK in the long run. Ideally, you shouldn't need to stay on it forever however - a specialized exercise training and nutrition program is the most effective way increase your levels naturally.

Athletes who inject themselves with testosterone to supra-physiologic concentrations really do increase the risk of early mortality. Yes - you can increase the size and thickness of your cardiac muscle tissue. Thats only one worry however. Many steroid users eventually find themselves dealing with tumors years after cessation (high T levels increase the risk of cancer development). The most dangerous aspect however, is probably the damage to the liver caused by steroid abuse. That alone will shorten one's life.

My advise: your testosterone was probably low because of a miriad of reasons, and most doctors don't know enough about stress and endocrinology to truly fix the problem from the bottom up. There is a doctor down in Ballard that is an expert with this stuff. Her clinic has a website: www.spmedicine.com.

Anyway, good luck. Take care of yourself.