Silnylon Repair

spotly

The corner of a package of Mountain House food put a nice clean one inch cut in the silnylon fabric of my pack. Of course, duct tape wouldn't work nor did the repair kit from my sleeping pad - nothing would stick. Any experience with repairs to this type of fabric? Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, sear the edges of the cut carefully to keep it from shredding further. It doesn't take much and be careful to not light the stuff on fire - it's easy.

If you can, sew on a doubler / patch. The stuff is really slick, as you discovered, so it's a little more difficult to work with than standard nylon fabrics. Use a fine needle in the sewing machine. Seal the stiching / edges with the material mentioned below.

If you're not willing / able to sew on a patch, you can try the standard home made sil-nylon seam sealer as an adhesive, although I wonder on the strength / durability of this type of repair. Dilute silicone caulking (Lowes / Hope Depot) with paint thinner / mineral spirits to get a thinner consistency and glue on a patch with this stuff. I'd suggest a double sided patch for increased durability. For a second coat, painting the edges of the patch with the sealer should help keep the edges from peeling up. You could also probably use the commercial sil-nylon seam sealer - more or less the same as the home made stuff.

Thanks for the response. I hate answering my own post but I just got a reply back from Montbell and they're recommending this. I think your suggestion on sewing for extra dursbility is a good idea too. I'll surely bring something for field repairs on the next trip with it. I was envisioning the thing ripping all the way out then scattering gear from Aasgard Pass all the way down through Perfection Lake.