Sharkfin Tower

Wopper

Is Sharkfin Tower doable in a long day or would it be much more enjoyable over the week-end?

We are a couple of 30-somethings, in decent but not great shape climbers.

Has anyone had problems getting overnight permits in Boston Basin this summer?

Thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Sharkfin in a long day at the end of June a few years ago. It is doable if you go very light and leave the car at dark o'clock. When we did it, there was snow in Boston Basin down to the campsite, which made for very easy and fast travel up to the base of the tower. We made it back to the car around 5:30pm.

I haven't been in Boston Basin this year, but I'll bet the generally lighter snowpack this year may slow you down a bit.

It was a very enjoyable day, more so since we didn't have to schlep bivy gear. The fact that we didn't bivy also eliminated permit hassles.

[This message has been edited by Steve Kawasaki (edited 07-18-2001).]

Many people do Sharkfin Tower in a day. Especially if you car camp at the trailhead and get an early start. In decent shape, you should be able to do:

3-4 hours trailhead to gully (exit from glacier)

1 hour up gully to base of climb

1-2 hours on climb

1-2 hours descending climb

1 hour descending gully

3-4 hours glacier to trailhead

--------

10-14 hours total

So given current daylight length, if you left the trailhead at 5:00am and did my worst-case times, you'd have almost two hours of daylight in reserve.

If you do run out of time, I consider getting to low camp (5600') by dark to be the key to a successful exit. I wouldn't want to find my way down the slabs and to the trail in the dark. The trail from there on out is easy with a headlamp.

Permits can be very hard to get, especially on weekends. We were at the RS at 7:00am last Fri to get a Boston Glacier permit and we were told all of the Boston Basin permits had been gone since 9:00am the previous day.

Steel yourself to listen to the feces disposal speech.

Wopper: We were in to Boston Basin two weekends ago. We went on a Sunday and Monday and had no problem with a permit. There were only (as far as we could tell) three other parties in the basin. Rangers said that they were issuing six per night. We camped at the high camp on the way to Forbidden (approximately 6200 ft.) and we were not on snow. The snow level was right about there, however, so much of the basin is now exposed. Hope that helps.

I found it enjoyable to do in an overnight. We wen't up late afternoon on Friday and camped in the basin. We got a casual morning start, bagged Sharkfin and were down to the glacier by eleven. Then we turned and headed-up the QS glacier and bagged Sahale, came down, grabbed gear and were eating Mexican food by 7pm on our way back to Seattle Sat. night. Next day, soothe sore muscles by climbing at index!

Sleep in your own bed. And catch a Latte' on the way.

As of right now, the low snow year if anything makes the approach quicker up the red creek slabs.

We left our car at 6:10am Sat and climbed the standard Sharkfin route, the 5.10 Sharkfin route, Boston Peak, and Sahale and were back to the car for late afternoon-early evening beers. The route is a natural one day route for someone of any hiking speed and climbing ability, although Boston Basin is a cool camp.