Training Injuries?

Hey all,

Thought I'd help us get started: what are some of your common or recurring ailments related to hiking/climbing? We'll try to provide the board with tips to strengthen specific body parts and deal with injuries, as well as prevention of injuries in the first place. What would you like to see included?

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one: About two months ago I went for an eleven mile run. The following day I guided a mellow day trip (Ingalls peak). The next following days I climbed back to back strenuous rock routes (East Butress Direct on South Early Winter Spire and the Boving route on the North Spire) By the end of the last route, I could barely walk. Burning pains shot up the back of my legs, from the heel to behind the knee. I took a week off. Then I went for a six mile run and did a couple of mellow routes. The burning pain returned. Two months later, I have residual pain and tightness (feels like a knot) in one calf, just below the knee. It won't go away, but stretching and light excercise seem to help. Any idea what I did to myself?

quote:

Originally posted by Courtenay:

Hey all,

Thought I'd help us get started: what are some of your common or recurring ailments related to hiking/climbing? We'll try to provide the board with tips to strengthen specific body parts and deal with injuries, as well as prevention of injuries in the first place. What would you like to see included?

Courtenay Schurman, CSCS

Hey there Daniel,

Well, without being able to actually see what your legs/gait/calves/ankles are doing, it sounds like you have strained your calf muscle through overuse -- which you probably already guessed. Was there a specific moment or move where you felt sharp pain?

Any time you do a lot of running and strenuous climbing (be it gym climbing OR alpine) the calves are heavily involved, and my first recommendation (besides RICE) is to develop a regular habit of stretching them thoroughly before and after climbing. Has it ever happened before? What's your stretching routine like, so I can recommend others? Do you have any orthotics in your shoes/boots? What do you do as a warm-up?

Since light activity and stretching seem to help, I'd encourage you to keep up with that, but perhaps switch (temporarily) to a lower-impact activity (like the Precor, stairstepper, or bike) and get after it with stretching. Massage might help as well. Let me know what else you're trying and I'll include some calf stretches in our November Body Results newsletter. (If you'd like to receive a free copy on-line, send e-mail to trainer@bodyresults.com with "subscribe cc" in the subject.)

CSchurman, CSCS