hardy camera recommendations

Adventureboy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been very happy with beating the crap out of my Fuji FinePix F10. Great battery life, good low-light performance, and durable. Takes good pics -- I've blown up some favorites to 8x10 and they look very sharp. Only downside is they use the xD card format. The new Fuji cameras have switched to SD. They don't make it anymore, but you should be able to find a refurb on eBay.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/57986/Number/777653#Post777653

Way off on the Noob list.... it was in the gear critic. I ended up getting a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W120; it takes fantastic photos and is very easy to use, but I find it way too fragile for the outdoors. I have to be very aware of where it is all the time to make sure I don't bounce it off rocks. It is now in a tupperware case to protect it.

The Canon point and shoots are awesome, but if you spend a lot of time in the mountains with one it probably won't last more than a couple of years. I've heard from many people that dirt and grit will get into the moving parts of the lens and shut it down - happened to me just recently.

Just got the Pentax Optio W60 but haven't looked at the pics I took this weekend. I was personally drawn to the all weather, underwater, shock proof design and reports of good image quality. A bit more expensive than your price range but may be worth it if you only have to buy one that will last for many years.

The Olympus Stylus SW models hold up pretty well (I have the 1030 SW). They're crush resistant to #200 or so and waterproof. Plus, they're shaped just right for slipping into a T-Shirt pocket. Only bad experience has been that I got a small pebble stuck in the lens cover channel and it messed up the cover mechanism...which cost $100 to get repaired. That was a dumb mistake on my part and I'm happy with the quality and the durability otherwise.

I second the 1030 SW. Just got mine, so it hasnt been thoroughly tested yet, but the reviews have it in line with what I need- shock and water-proof. I can say the 10mp will be adequate for anything that I want to blow up and hang on the wall, and so far the pics arent as nice as my digi slr, but they look good.

One thing to think about is, does it also have an optical viewfinder - I had a Nikon, but there were times I could not see what the hell I was try to take a picture of on the flat screen, when it was too sunny - Sold it, and got a Cannon Power Shot A710 and its been a work horse for me.

I have half a dozen cameras, but the one I take climbing (and kayaking/mountain biking) is the Olympus Stylus SW - it's virtually indestructible. I've dropped it >20 feet, I've take it to coral reefs 20' down, no problems whatsoever. Plus, it comes in cool colors.

Thumbs up on both the Olympus SW, and Canon Point and shoots.

Olympus:

Shockproof, Water resistant and compact, custom rechargable batteries, and no optical viewfinder. (bought for my wife)

Canon A510

Tough as nails. Period. Dropped from "the Surprise" on Five open books, plunged 200 ft to the valley floor. Fired right up once I found it. Dropped while on Mountain Biking, hit a rock, denting the casing, zoom extended, no response from the camera, certain it was dead. Forced the zoom back into the camera, and to my surprise, the camera fired right up again. After about a year of abuse, the shutter has to be opened manually, but that si somewhat expected.

If you intend to abuse your camera, avoid Sony and Panasonic.

Don't buy a Kodak.... ever.....