Banks Lake Camping

jrb

Since my MT plans fell through I'm looking for another option. Bank Lakes looks worth checking out. Anyone know what the deal with camping is out there? I know that there is a start park, but they look pretty booked. Are there any other options?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be dirtbag camping in Northrup Canyon in the meadow below Gibraltar Rock. Northrup Canyon is on the opposite side of the highway from the lake, about a mile or so before you get to Highway Rock if you're headed north. The meadow has since been turned over to the equine set, and the road to the circle has been gated, but I bet you could "park yer horse" along the gravel road and waltz on in and camp with them if'n ya wanted to, pardner. There's a precast shitter at the end of the road where the actual trail starts up into the canyon. Bring yer own water.

I think they've declared the whole Northrup Canyon no camping. Don't go to Steamboat Rock State Park either, not only is it usually booked up, it's a closely packed RV wasteland. Jones Bay, just past Highway Rock, is the ticket. There are sites by the boat ramp, but my faves are out the penninsula, taking the second entry. No reservations, but I haven't been shut out yet. It does cost though. Precast shitters are not bad at all. No water, so bring your own to camp.

Closed the whole friggin canyon to camping? WTF?? Bastards!!!1

I didn't think about it earlier, but there's a CG about 25 miles to the south, below the ice climb Even Cowgirls Get the Blues/Children of the Sun, that has a bazillion sites. It's called Sun Lakes State Park. It's about 20 miles or so north of Soap Lake, and about 5 miles southwest of Coulee City on Highway 17.

Edited by sobo

I second Jones Bay. It's close to the climbing and the sites are ok. I'd get there early on a holiday weekend though and maybe have a backup plan. Steamboat Rock will likely be all reserved up at this point but they do get last-minute cancellations so if you don't mind the playground atmosphere, it would make an ok backup...something like plan 'D' or 'Z'