Any climbing on or around Lopez Island?

MegandChaz

My partner and I are moving to Lopez island in the San Juans this summer. We both enjoy sport climbing (especially bouldering), but we're a little concerned. We haven't found any climbing on or around the island yet.

Can somebody please help? We're looking for any local beta on climbing in the San Juans.

Thanks!

-Chaz and Meghan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find a whole lot of slabs in the San Juans. Unfortunately, they are all horizontal.

Seriously...

The east face of Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island has some moderate cliffs of about one pitch in height but I suspect they are chossy. At one time I was considering looking into them with a CC.com'er who lives on the island. His name is Mark (send him a private message. He is "Ketch" on the site).

There is nothing I know of on San Juan Island.

I haven't been on Lopez Island.

No sport on Lopez that I know of. Too bad I didn't see this earlier I spent a fair piece of yesterday on a piece of rock over there. Coulda joined me. There is rock to be found but much of it is fairly well guarded or the land owners are picky. Give me a shout or billygoat. We'll hook ya up.

Hey Meg and Chaz, send me a PM and I'll hook up with ya. My digits on Lopez are x3712

There are quite a few sport style climbs (slabs/face) of all levels but you have to top rope them because we can't drill bolts. The cliffs are on BLM ACEC which is BLM for Wilderness. I have most of the top rope anchors figured out and I am friends with the Ranger in charge. There are some gear leads as well and bouldering.

Where are you guys staying? Are you working on the Land Trust project?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry, I’m a little slow to respond but definitely still really interested in checking things out with you. As you guessed, I will be working with the land trust and arriving in about a week. Would you suggest I bring my bouldering pad? Do you live on the island?

Thanks!

-Meghan

Hi Meghan,

Bouldering pad would be good but if you have a partner to spot or top rope it isn't necessary. There is also a bunch of good climbing a ferry ride away at Mt Erie in Anacortes. I'm friends with all the folks at the land trust. Just a guess on my part but they have been saying that lots of folks are coming in around now. When you get settled in, give me a call, I am on Island. When you get here you'll get the prefix that is the same for all phone numbers. Just add it to my last foru of 3712.

And David Svilar, have you been out here long? Give me a call too.

Bill