Maui Rock Climbing

Braydon

I will be going to Maui on Wednsday for a week and am looking for some climbing there. I have done some search for beta on the internet but can't find a lot. Anyone done anything there or know someone who has? How do you get to the crags? Sport, trad, bouldering, top rope?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your girlfriend know you are planning to bring climbing gear? Seriously, dude...your going to **Maui**...leave the climbing gear at home. Go snorkel with the turtles, drink fruity tequila drinks with the little umbrellas on the beach or go for a hike in Haleakela crater. If you really need some adrenaline, try surfing on the North Shore. Most of the rock is volcanic choss anyway.

PM me if you want beta on the best snorkeling spots.

Raindawg's been to Maui for the purpose of climbing.

He went to climb this:

25.jpg

It's called the Iao Needle and it was VERY dangerous. The rock was horrible, the protection practically non-existent and the weather ever changing. On the other hand, it sure is pretty up there!

Raindawg rappin' off the Needle into the jungle of the Iao Valley.

Iao.jpg

Better to go snorkeling, ride a mountain bike down Haleakala Crater after viewing the sunrise, or take the spooky two-lane cliff-hugging road to Hana and swim in the pools and waterfalls.

There are some "climbing" or bouldering areas on some of the other islands (particularly Oahu) but don't expect high quality rock on the remnants of aging volcanoes or on the freshly made crags (ala "The Big Island") either. Loads of other kinds of first-class adventure, though, can be found nearly everywhere.

I "soloed" a nice route up the prow of Diamond Head near Waikiki on Oahu once (the skyline ridge on the right) but the upper section was pretty rotten and fairly terrifying. You walk off via old military observation bunkers and then down stairs into the crater.

523925-Diamond-Head-Crater-0.jpg