Mt. St Helens

BYoung

Looking to climb Mt. St Helens the weekend of the 17th. Anyone have any suggestions. Any reports on road closure? How far do you have to hike from where the road ends to the camp ground? How are snow conditions?

Looking at taking the Worm Flows Climbing Route.

Thanks,

Bobby

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been up there lately but found this info on Marble Mountain SP on the web site:

May 13 2008

Snow Depth: Sno-Park is CLOSED until further notice due to heavy snowfall. Information on discontinued plowing and status of the Washington State Sno-Park program.

Rating/Remarks: Forecasts call for intermittent snowfall, warming temperatures and rain, so please exercise caution when traveling on forest roads and trails. Check website for current avalanche information. A temporary bridge has been constructed across the creek at the June lake trailhead. Barriers are in place to the right of bridge at 83 Road washout. Forest Road 8312 is closed to snowmobiling, a barrier 1/4 mile up 8312 Road marks the washout.

Road Information: 83 Road is plowed to Cougar Sno-Park.

Grooming: Forest Road 83 beyond June Lake Ck is not being groomed at this time due to inaccessibility. Check website for grooming updates.

Another route choice that's kinda cool is to skin up the 83 to the 830. Bail off the 830 at about 3,500' and follow a 345 bearing to the toe of the Swift Creek Flow. Pretty good camping in the trees there. Hop-skip-jump and you're above tree-line and heading up towards Monitor Ridge.

We ended up slogging an extra 3.5 miles to the winter route trailhead. From there, the snow was pretty good, considering how hot it was. The last 1,000 ft or so to the crater rim was real deep and soupy but the rest was great corn skiing all the way back to tree line. The ranger said the road is not expected to melt out till July...4-6 weeks later than usual.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this on the USGS Site, it was taken on Friday May 30th... Looks like there is a path up the Ridge. However, getting to it might take a lot of time. I'm heading up on the 20th with a team from work. I bought 24 passes, but not sure if we will even be able to start from Marble Mt. I will investigate it this weekend by driving up and skiing in...

-Marc

MSH08_aerial_st_helens_from_south_05-30-08_med.jpg