[TR] Ruby Mountain - South Ridge 4/30/2008

plaigar

Trip: Ruby Mountain - South Ridge

Date: 4/30/2008

Trip Report:

Ruby Mountain - 7400ft 4/30/08

Peter and I went to Ruby Mountain at the south edge of Ross Lake, via 4th of July pass, and the south ridge. We did have some problems finding the mostly snowcovered trail from Thunder Creek up to 4th of July Pass, and ended up mostly bushwhacking up to the pass. We had lunch at a nice spot where we could see Forbidden and Snowfield Peaks among others.

IMG_9378.JPG

IMG_9389.JPG

We started to hike up the forested ridge that leads to Ruby Mountain and pitched camp at 5400ft, at another nice clearing.

The next morning we mozied up the remaining 2000ft to the top via the south ridge. Quite broad and gentle all the way and very scenic. At the summit around 11am, had lunch and back to camp and car by 4pm. Started drizzling approximately 30 seconds after we arrived at car.

P4270023.JPG

Anybody knows the story of the solar panel?

P4270026.JPG

Gear Notes:

snowshoes.

Approach Notes:

Colonial Creek campground, 4th of July pass, south ridge. Snow most of the way.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - Am planning to make this trip first week in June. A few questions: Did you go to the pass from Thunder Cr trail? From pics, it looks like you didn't have snowshoes on - are they needed? Also, is it steep enough to require ice ax? Thanks,

- Peter

I don't think you have to go exactly as far as the pass. The junction off to the left to Fourth of July Camp is slightly before the pass. I think it is in the flattish area just north of Panther Potholes {map}. The pass itself is pretty long, indistinct, and flat.

As I stated in my January 2005 Trip Report "...It was a fairly straightforward hump up the trail to Fourth of July Pass (3,500 ft). We pulled into Fourth of July Camp (c. 3,600 ft) just west of the pass at around 3:00PM."

Oh, and another warning: don't go the Panther Creek way from the car. That trail is Lame with a capital L.

We tried to follow the trail all the way up to the pass, but since it was snowcovered ended up away form it most of the time. We did end up at the 4th of July NPS camp though (marked with wooden post). From there we pretty much turned north and headed up the ridge. It's indistinct at first, but as you gain elevation it becomes more and more a defined ridge.

We did bring an ice axe, and we did take it out. Snowshoes were very useful as it was late April.

More pictures of the trip at http://picasaweb.google.com/leadmade/RubyMountain

Edited by plaigar