Replacing Bolts on Illumination Rock

pdk

A couple of us have become enamored with the mixed climbing on I-rock (which is excellent). Luckily, we located a couple bolts near the summit that we've been rapping off of. One is an old, rusty 1/4" that you could probably pull out by hand. The other isn't much better. I'd like to add a new bolt or two next time I'm up there (likely not until next winter - conditions have deteriotated significantly over the past couple weeks).

Is there any consensus on local ethics for bolting on I-rock? Does the wilderness status preclude new bolting? I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Donnie

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is obvious, though thank you for asking the online community . The Rappel bolts on the N Ridge are maybe between 30-50 years old?.This area will see more traffic.

Being the former"Jim Opdy k"Of the place, I feel it is best to replace the bolts,Thank You if you are offering to do so, Wayne

That's what I figured I'd hear - but I didn't want to be presumptuous.

If they don't get replaced before next winter, I will gladly do it.

Since you sound like you're in the know, are there bolts on the tops of other routes up there? What about the summit? I just happened to find those by sheer luck - a bit of tat was sticking out of the rime.

Thanks

If I was going to replace those bolts I'd do it in the summer via the South Chamber. Pretty solid, mid 5th, & direct, other than the summit ridge which is fun when bare. A bit of a slog getting over there and the ZigZag glacier can be icy.