Hand, Wrist, Forearm Pain

BillA

For about a month I've had pain in the thumb side, top of my right hand, my wrist on the same side, and then off and on I have pain in my forearm on the top, same side. There is no pain when resting, mostly just when lifting or pulling with my wrist bent. It started after a hard bouldering session and I've been going easy on it since then. Initially I iced it and took vitamin I. I assume it's just a tendon strain of some kind, but could it be carpal tunnel or something like that? I hope not. I know I should ask a doctor, but that shit is expensive...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been battling similar issues on and off for several years now. I'm not a physician, but I'd guess more often than not forearm pain, in climbers, results mainly from overuse or muscular imbalance. If I have a flare up the first thing I'll do is rest it. After a while I'll start doing some excercises to reduce muscle imbalance by focusing on pronation, supination and extension. This usually works for me, but I always end up getting lazy with the warmup excercises and pain will flare up again. FWIW.

Something you may try is to have a massage therapist do some myofascial stripping and deep tissue to get the muscle and connective tissue loosened up. Then get some stretches and do some balanced strength training.

Massage therapist, have worked on a lot of folks with similar issues. For what it's worth.

Thanks for the info guys. Hey Mike, I read a little about Dequevains and it says that basically there's nothing you can do except wait? I have a friend that's a good massage therapist, I guess I'll see if I can get ahold of her...