Black Diamond Beta Light for Cascades....

blizzardscout2

I am looking at purchasing the BD Beta Light for mountaineering in the Cascades and was wondering if this might be a good choice. I do plan on using it during the winder climbs as well. Let me know what you think. I have also been looking at the OR Nighthaven and MSR Twin Sisters.

I currently have the REI Mountain 2, a very freakin heavy tent. Great usability, but HEAVY!

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one. It's been pretty good. One time I had trouble rigging it in deep powder snow because I couldn't get the snow to pack down enough to hold the guy lines -- but I was able to fix the problem by tossing some rocks on top of the buried snow anchors. Luckily we were near a rock outcropping.

I imagine it wouldn't be the best in high winds, so I'm not sure how it would fair on volcanos and such. The other thing I don't really like is that I don't have any trekking poles when the tent is rigged, and sometimes I want to leave the tent rigged for the day but want to take my poles with me. I guess I could just collapse the tent or something.

I've never had it in a serious downpour, but if it was raining hard I'd probably be heading back home anyway.

It's actually fine in high winds.

It's the only tent I've used in 6 years except the lighthouse in the winter. If I had to buy only one tent for both, then I'd get the lighthouse.

Tip on the lighthouse tent. To save weight, use your trecking poles set up in a x pattern instead of the regular poles. Have the pointy ends down and put your helmet in the center of the tent to spare the fabric. Wayne figured this trick out and it's done very well in wet weather.

I have MSR Twin Peaks, much like Beta Light. I've used it in snow and cold and moderate wind and I think it's pretty good for that. Two rigid heavy poles are solid support compared with two or three flimsy hoops.

I've never used it in buggy conditions. I've used a GoLite Hex in slightly buggy conditions, and it seemed somewhat effective. This is perhaps comparable to the Megamid.

I'm not convinced that either are effective protection vs real serious bugs. I'd rather have the Hex than Twin Peaks to really test this question....

Edited by johndavidjr

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying it for $50 brand new from someone. I cant wait to use it, hopefully in the next few weeks or so. I just need to seam seal it for now. Thanks for all the input and I will be sure to post my reviews about it after a few uses. Plus I am probably going to purchase the floor for it as well. Thanks guys.

Reese