[TR] Dragontail - The white poo of the Dragon 2/24

Panos

Trip: Dragontail - The white poo of the Dragon

Date: 2/24/2008

Trip Report:

This trip was such a disappointment! Exited about the recently reported good conditions up on Dragontail NF we hiked up there on Saturday afternoon in good weather hoping that tomorrow weather will stay like this:

dragonNF2.JPG

Alas... right after we set our bivis it started snowing up there. The infamous Dragon throwing up his white poo all night. At about 2AM all of our optimism was gone. Here is Mr Dude showing his appreciation to the weather ...

Kevin1.JPG

Because new snow was accumulating quickly we decided to reverse our steps. FYI: there were already 15cm of fresh snow and it certainly kept snowing all night. We left the lake at 2:30AM.

Returning up there as soon as possible and giving this Dragon the lesson he deserves is now a commitment.

Edited by Panos

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We saw your tracks heading out this morning. By the looks of your accomodations, I understand your early departure now. We were surprised by the plentiful snowfall last night. We were camped half way down the lake and had a 4am wake-up call to try the NE Couloir on Colchuck, which turned to a 6am revised plan just to ski the Colchuck glacier.

I'd say your estimate of 15 cm at 2:30am is probably right and it was still whiteout and snowing at 8:30am when we abandoned the plan due to no visibility. Enough snow had fallen that we barely hit the crust on the ski down. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have appreciably snowed anywhere else in Washington State last night.

Kevin and I saw only one climber going up TC very high at 06:10PM. It looked like he/she was soloing but it is likely that there was a belayer hiden somewhere lower. It was getting dark and misty at that point and we wonder whether this guy will find his/her way down easily.

Later in the night (at about 04:00AM) we saw ADE's tent next to the river and we thought that it was probably the soloist who was taking some rest.

I believe everybody is down safe.