• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
ropegoat

10 days in North Cascades?

hey all,

I did actually search for a post like this, but seems no one goes expedition style down here any more. I have 10 days over the week before memorial day. I was hoping to get deep in the North Cascades- but am not sure what conditions would be like. Can anyone suggest a good linkup or resources- maybe two or three mountains that might lend themselves to a link up? Also any account of experience during this part of the season would be much appreciated. Partner and I are both strong on steep snow, glacier travel, and technical rock, not strong in ice climbing. I'm new to the PNW, but we both have significant experience elsewhere.

You're probably aware that the Cascades will still be full of snow that time of year, so ski transport would be a good call for a longer trip. Otherwise it's kinda late for technical snow/ice and early for alpine rock. Good neighborhoods for moderate linkups could be Eldorado/Forbidden/Buckner, Maude&Fernow, Redoubt/Spickard, Baker/Shuksan, for starters. Or could be a good time for a steep volcano route if you catch some nice weather. See this recent thread for more thoughts on early season options.

Do a search on 'isolation traverse', 'thunder traverse' and 'ptarmigan traverse'. Skis are a must, unless you really love to suffer. The Ptarmigan would have the most peak bagging along the way.