Quark Modifications

Farrgo

For a couple seasons I've been toying with different ways to modify my Quarks to add a matching grip. Here's whats worked and what hasn't.

I tried a pipe hanger and hose clamp rig, taped up with rubberized electrical tape. The fit was pretty good and the price was right, but it was so flimsy that it would get bashed closed each pitch.

Next, I upgraded to the large size Grivel triggers, fitted for my index finger. I initialy felt like the trigger helped me stay less pumped, but it interfered with my swing. Also, matching was a little complicated because you have to remove your index finger before gripping.

I decided to move the triggers higher on the shaft to make matching easier. Unfortunately the only spot the trigger will fit is either right at the index finger or above the rubberized grip. So the trigger ends up being very high resulting in some horrendous pick shift.

P2150332.JPG

P2150333.JPG

The other problem with this set up, is that the trigger is a very tight fit. My buddy actually cuts the padding and insulation out of his gloves to alleviate this problem.

The system I'm running now, I saw on some tools down in Utah. You use the Grivel triggers, but cut off the trigger, turn it backwards and just use the plastic that covers the bolt for the grip.

P2150335.JPG

P2150334.JPG

It's actually a very comfy grip and you can place it just above your hand, on the rubberized grip which reduces pick shift.

Anybody else have modifications they use?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, but I've made it through modifications one and two listed above, but haven't thought of cutting the trigger part off yet. Only other mod I can think of is rubbery mastic tape on the shaft above the grip, which is nice for extra grip and insulation. Thanks for the pics!

Adding rubberized tape to the upper grip would help but I'm trying to keep these light for alpine climbing.