Bivy Sacks & Syn Bag Systems

TimL

It's about time this coming summer to drop some dough a new bivy sack and syn sleeping bag. Most important thing is I would like to hear peoples opinions on the bivy sacks that are out there. I've had my current one for 10 years and it is finished. My wife has the Integral Designs Salathe Bivy and it's good, but I want something different. Keep in mind I'm not looking for a bivy sack in place of a tent, just a good bivy for times when a solid bivy sack would be better than a Bibler I Tent. Light is important but durability is equally important. As for sleeping bag something warm and light, if that can go together. Around -15. I'd like to hear peoples opinions on gear from the States cause we don't get much of it here and in my opinion the gear made by companies in the States is in general better than what I've seen here. Thanks for everything!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A -15 synthetic bag doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A synthetic bag that will go that cold will be bulky as all hell and take up most of your alpine pack. Also, if it's that cold it isn't going to be raining, so why buy a synthetic bag? For both of the above reasons I would recommend a down bag for temps that cold.

If you're looking for a 3 season bag for the cascades then a bag to 15-20 degrees is usually fine. A synthetic bag works well for these temps, as you're more likely to get rained on and they are still able to be stuffed to a reasonable degree. I recently bought a Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina 35 but they make one for 15 degrees too:

Ultralamina 15

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it has gotten rave reviews and seems very solid and comfortable on my living room floor.

I run with a Bibler Big Wall bivy bag, since it also goes on my valley trips. I wish it had an angled entry, or a "L" pattern zipper, as the simple envelope style entry is a real pain to get in and out of in a portaledge, or heck even on some decent natural ledges at times. Live and learn...

For a synthetic bag I have a 20 degree north face I got on sale that i've taken down to the low teens with just the bivy sack no problem. I also have a mountain hardware 45 degree bag I've been comfy in down to freezing or so. In both cases I went for what was on sale and not too heavy.

Its more of a bag and a sleeping bag, not really a combo deal. Maybe a zero bag and a good bivy. Looking for a warmer bag for long winter nights nights versus a quick alpine combo. Already have a light down and a light synthetic, but the heavy Marmot I have is junk and needs to be replaced. Plus, I normally sleep cold.

Edited by TimL

Plus, I normally sleep cold.

Whatever happened to the hot Spanish wife? :crazy:

You just need to drink more beer and eat more meaty-cheeseys. Men with kilos are men with power. :brew::hcluv:

FWIW I'm looking at a Marmot Helium 0 degree down. My 0 degree synthetic is waay to bulky.

Chorizo chesseys!