A loss for the Seattle Symphony

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think most American symphonies are like that.. they have to play standard fare to keep the masses happy and can only go off the beaten track for maybe 1 of 3 pieces at a concert

well, the SS is not exactly thriving, so they need to do that to stay around.

they do try to bring in guest soloists and orchestras to add to what is available, but they are limited by funds, of course.

I also really enjoy hearing the principal bass player. I swear, I can pick him out from the (audience right side) entire orchestra at times, and he looks like he is really into his playing.

it'd be cool though if ss played a more varied schedule. everything on it now is overplayed and hence, boring.

what would be an example or two of what you'd like to see, but has never appeared on their schedule in the last, say, 5 years?

erik satie. bach with harpsichord (missed the baroque stuff last month). some unknown contemporary pieces. maybe shostakovich. not beethoven's 5th, and dvorak's new world, for goodness' sake. they are afraid of chasing away the bluehairs (although i could go listen to bach over and over again).

how about some telemann? he's accessible and beautiful.

KK, speaking of bass, did you get to see Failing performed live a few months back?

this is a different performance of Failing

SC, Satie's works are very beautiful, but they're mostly piano solos or have been lightly orchestrated. Telemann would have the same issues with Vivaldi or any other baroque orchestral works -- half the symphony wouldn't be playing. Maybe suitable for one piece of the evening. But it might be better to have a separate baroque orchestra or separate baroque concerts.

I'm all for more Shostakovich.

I didn't think he'd be with us all that long, he's at a completely different level.

I worked a little show of E. European music up in the Recital Hall last year and had the chance to see this kid play to an audience of about 20 people. It was memorable, to say the least.

No, I didn't see Failing. I only get out to the SS like 3 times a year.

SC: I remember when I first moved here that they didn't seem to repeat music more frequently than one every three years, but. yes, now they seem to do a small number of pieces every year, and augment them with others. That does kind of suck.

The SS is not bad for a city of this size, but it's a bit of an internal turmoil and soap opera. Lawsuits and counter lawsuits, harassment accusations. I think it probably time for GS to move along. I think some fresh air would help the group.