Soft side mountaineering boots

Loren

Up until this point, I have been using a two boot system. Light hikers for the approach and plastics once I get to the white stuff. Or on something like rainier, just wearing the plastics the whole time. I am looking to simplify and pare down on weight by switching to using a single, soft sided boot that will allow a little easier time on the approach, but be stiff and warm enough to climb three seasons.

I would appreciate any feedback on what you like - or don't like about boots you used, have used or could recommend.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 3-season climbing La sportiva Trango, Scarpa Charmoz or Triolet, Garmont Tower, Kayland Apex Rock. My favorite of those is the Triolet but go with whatever fits your foot the best. For a boot that is lighter than your plastics but warm enough for 4-season or ice climbing use check out the La Sportiva Nepal Evo, possibly one of the all-time best single leather boots, including all its previous iterations.

Thanks for the suggestions. Max, those Scarpas are nice boots. The Charmoz fit well, but couldn't find the Triolet. They said that with more leather, they would say truly waterproof longer than the Charmoz. I think I'll try to get the Triolet online... unless anyone is aware of anyplace in Seattle that carries them (didn't see them at REI or pro mountain)

Cheam... how are they on a glacier? Still waterproof after extended wear? I just ask b/c I was told that after a while they don't hold water out so well... but that was just by one person, so, I woudl be initerested in hearing your take as well.

I'll take a look at the Asolos and try Feathered friends too.

Thanks All!

Just another data point as you try to figure out what boots to buy. I spent the day snowshoeing at Bumping Lake area yesterday and wore the Asolo's I previously mentioned. Feet were warm and dry all day. It was snowing heavily, the temperature was around 12-degrees so there wasn't any water, but I was very happy that my feet never got cold at all. Getting cold is my main concern with this style of mountaineering boot, but these performed great.

A note from the weekend shopping... Although not the cheapest for other gear, nor a large amount of boots stocked and available at the store, Feathered Friends is definitely the place to go to get some really good input from guys that area out there actually doing it.

Also, apparently its climbing boot season, because wherever I checked was out of the boots / sizes to compare side by side. So with a bit of mix and match, I had to order a few and will do my comparison at home next weekend (I hope the wife doesn't see the visa bill this week).

Thanks to all for your input. I think between the Trangos, the Chomoz or the Asolo Expert, I am sure to find a good boot.

BTW - Not that it is a huge deal at this price range, but REI online has the LS Trangos $20 cheaper than anywhere else right now.

Edited by Loren