[TR] Alaska Mountain - Southwest Face 1/20/2008

ryanl

Trip: Alaska Mountain - Southeast Face

Date: 1/20/2008

Trip Report:

After I got my first glimpse of the gold up Gold Creek last weekend I decided I had to head back. A few pictures, some sandbagged time predictions, and a promising forecast lured my buddy Mark Simon to the 65th street carpark for an early morning rendezvous, along with my brother and sister-in-law who'd come up from Portland for the weekend.

Here's the motivating glimpse of Alaska I had last weekend. We skied from the high point, straight down to the skier's right of the main gully that splits the face:

IMG_1166.JPG

The beat down from the week before was a distant memory as the four of us skinned away from the car a little after 6 on Sunday morning. The snow down in the valley was incredible. Super light, mid shin deep powder at 2800’. In Washington. Mind boggling.

Erica with early smiles:

erica_close_up.jpg

Mark making a highway:

IMG_1253.JPG

Our excitement clouded the reality of breaking trail for 7 hours. For such a little mountain, Alaska sure felt big. Our only moment of hesitation came above Alaska lake when we used our axes to climb through steep trees, deep powder, and occasional ice (except Mark, who cowboyed up old school style carrying a ski in each hand.)

Mike and Erica on the summit ridge:

IMG_12581.JPG

The ski down was very good, but a little less perfect than we’d imagined. The top 500 feet was silky smooth on top of hard pack. Fast and fun. The next 1000’ brought powder, and the occasional face shot, but the residue of last week’s massive avalanches made itself felt every now and again. The final 500’ was butter. (I might be wrong about the vertical- I never really checked) We pitched out the top 800 feet, since we were releasing surface slabs quite frequently, but we skied the final (approx) 1200’ one at a time, top to bottom. Good fun.

IMG_1269.JPG

Edited by ryanl

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you skied the Southeast Face.

Details, details. I guess that would explain why early in the tour I started to head towards the car without realizing that I was going in the wrong direction.

here are those close ups- too bad the super zoom came out blurry. Still looks massive.

IMG_1162.JPG

[/img]IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG