Olympia

TimL

So looks like when not traveling or climbing we'll be base camping with the parents this summer in Olympia. To my dismay, they recently relocated from Seattle. Thing is I've only driven through Olympia. The thing that I'm interested in is if there is a climbing gym, local crag, bouldering or what locals do to stay in shape. Hikes? What are some classic day climbs in the Olympics. I hate to say that all the time that I spent in the area I never climbed in the Olympics. Whats there to do in Olympia when not climbing? Thanks :brew:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact Off White here. He can fill you in on his property, and Fossil Rock. He has folks over to climb on Wednesday evenings at his place. I've never climbed at OW's, and I've only been to Fossil Rock once.

Fossil Rock is south and east of Ft Lewis. It's up some gated roads that you can either walk or bike to. The rock there is very similar to the rock at Smith. I don't believe that anything is more than half a rope tall. The main advantage is it would be close to Olympia and it has nice views of Rainier.

Climbing in Olympia:

1. Exits 32 and 38 are about 1.5 hours drive, fine for a day trip. Index is far, Leavenworth and Vantage about the same as from Seattle.

2. Tieton is about 1.5 to 2 hours drive, plenty of trad and sport climbs, usually deserted, one of my favorite places.

3. OW's quarry is a great local place to climb, nice group of people on Wednesdays and depending on your abilities difficult enough to keep you interested for the summer. Climbs range from 10b/c to 12, all are bolted but the bolts are far enough apart to keep your attention.

4. Olympia has a very fine indoor rock gym, Warehouse Rock Gym in downtown Oly.

5. As you say, good time to check out the Olympics, others can tell you more about this.

Sadly, ther are no good restaurants in Olympia, but there is music and beer and Seattle is only 1 hour away, Portland 1.75 hours.