stolen gear??

whirlwind

i keep seeing climbing gear at a pawn shop in bellingham and was wondering if some people are getting thier shit riped off or if people are just getting rid of it. the stuff looks pretty used, i supose it would make sence to get rid of some old shit that way, maybe. didn't see any id marks on the stuff but the cool thing is if it was stolen the person who pawned it had to give a photo id so if its urs and you know it and or can prove it, you can find out who pawned it, and contact the sheriff.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey wirly, you've got me really curious. There's several on this site who've had whole racks or packs of gear ripped off...highly unlikely it's some of the huge amount of gear I've lost in two big rip-offs, BUT the only way for one of us to know is to (1) know the name of the shop, go in and check for ourselves, or at the least (2) get some sort of description of what the gear was, so we can check it out.

So wirly, since I'm about 350 miles from B-ham, what shop, and without going into great detail, what specific gear is there?

Thanks, Steve

cams older well used stuff, some old ridgid friends, most of the gear is probly 5-10yrs old atleast there was an alein or 2 atleast one trango, some old bd cams.

Finally saw your reply here, wirly. No, not my stuff I don't think. For starters my last rip-off was about 3 whole seasons ago , but the stuff hasn't shown up around Spokane-CDA.

Alpinfox just got ripped, though.

A little more than half my stuff was newer (full set BD cams, plus all the regular biners were wire-gate Neutrinos and HotWires), with a few older items from the 1980s (the 3 smallest sizes original Met TCUs, a few second-year BD Camalots, old rigid stem Friends, set of WC Rocks). Twelve or so draws with newer BD and Petzl dog bones, 12" spectra slings. The crag pack it all was in was a real 1980s time-piece: a beat-up, ~3000-cu-in Wild Country with Husky colors: purple with two yellow daisy chains on back.

All gear was marked with blue and white electrical tape. Doh. I'm still in the process of painting my current stuff. Just read in latest R&I about this: Boulder Based Designs "The Mark."