Cinch for solo

Draagun1

I plan to get a Cinch belay device shortly cuz the Eddy cost more than my sons Xmas budget would allow :)If he gets it for me,Couple of days and I'll know.I haven't seen to much on soloing on the Cinch and manufacturer doesn't recomend it but another post leads me to believe that is is not too bad a device for this.

Does anybody have info on this or have it dialed in for themselves.

Top roping to start is the idea but if its ok for leading will go there also but this is just to get my feet wet on the solo devices.

Edited by Draagun1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick with the Eddy or a grigri. The Cinch Doesn't have any "stop" relative to how much the two halves of it will counterrotate. I've looked at it several times over that past few years and wouldn't recommend it. Also, a device and setup that works great for TR soloing is likely to be less than ideal for leading. Here's a link to an rc thread where I described my rope-soloing system. Search RC and SuperTopo for "roped-soloing" and you'll get a bunch of different views on the topic.

I'd look into it more before risking my neck. If I recall the older rc.com discussions, Malcolm Daly of Trango strongly recommended against it not because of the usual liability issues (like the Gri-Gri) but because it actually did not handle some potential solo situations well with potentially fatal results. JH has lots of solo experience so I'd listen to him too.

Well, didn't get the Cinch for Xmas but a Metolius finger board and the George Foreman.Was happily surprised.I guess I raised a Great son.I will probably order a Edelrid Eddy myself this week since the RC.com links that I browsed seem to give it a green light.I wasn't aware that there were so many devices for soloing as well as combinations of equipment.Wish I hadn't killed this thread with my last comment since I enjoyed others opinions on this.