Chris Kalous Aid Rant

mneagle

I went to high school with Chris back in Illinois. I came across this video and just had to post it. As far as credibility goes, he did the second ascent of World's End (amongst many other psycho routes). The climax of the story he told me involved holding a sling over a sloping rock with his fingertips and wetting himself for an eternity before finding the courage to high step. He was rewarded by a hidden bolt on what otherwise looked like a blank field of dirt.

boQHYBhlOcs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple more drinks, about40 more lbs on his ass from an office job, he'd probably fit in right here eh?!

Not much chance of that happening (the wt gain). He's been on the road climbing in South America, Europe and the Middle East for most of the last few years. I do plan on trying to get him up to the North Cascades sometime. My only chance of contributing to any joint climbing effort would be to take him up some ultimate bushwhack, suffering slog-fest and carry most of the gear.

I e-mailed Chris after I put this up and he wrote back that he was flamed relentlessly for months afterward. He also directed me to one of his recent adventures, here:

SPvfjkO58BI

He's got a pretty tough lifestyle.

Edited by mneagle

So if there is not a crater at the base, it isn't A5.

This seems more akin to free soloing than free climbing. Instead of rubber on the rock, it is metal. Other than that, the same rules apply. Ever hook a crystal? It can require a lot of balance. Link several of these. Or a full pitch of them.

It comes down to the security of the belay and the frequency of landing zones. That is not so different from the placement of bolts or pro on a 5.13 or harder.

Making the security of the belay part of the rating is different from rating the difficulty of a move and the succession thereafter.