Boarders at Crystal Mountain

sobo

Split from the recent "Hikers at snowlake" thread in the Climber's Board:

We've been pinged. The plane has sighted a recent avalanche in the area where these guys would likely be boarding.

I can't go, as I'm going under the knife Friday and I have pre-op tomorrow.

I fear for these guys...

It now appears that the search for these three has been suspended indefinitely. There is talk of going back up to search the BC slopes later this summer.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There really *are* a lot of nice looking bowls up there that drop into the Morse and Union Creeks drainages. But they're pretty scary looking, too, from an avi-perspective.

There is talk circulating of our unit being assigned to search from Norse Peak south to Morse Creek next summer.

My condolences go out to the family and friends of these three guys.

Yikes. I just heard first-hand, from one of just a handful of searchers that came from the Spokane area, that the size of one of the avy debris piles was at least 20' deep. Good pic Gary, but it's hard to tell...how deep is this one?

Sobo, good luck on the pending op. Please let us know over here on the far side of the Cascade Curtain when the spring/summer search is organized.

Condolences to the boarders' families and friends.

This avy wasn't so deep because the deposition was spread out over so large an area (not a terrain trap). On average, about 3-4 feet deep. It certainly had some power, considering it took out that 50' tall 6" wide fir. Where the depth was greater was where the deposition had abutted against trees and piled up, to probably 6-8 feet deep.

The blocks were icy and chunky, much reminescent of walking through talus. If we had to do a probe line through there, I would have wanted a steel one-piece probe, as my fancy carbon-fiber collapsable one would probably have been wrecked by the end of the day.

One theory is that a smaller avy took out the three, and the following day, a climax avy covered up any remaining signs.