Approach Skis - Your List?

coug4

I'm in the market for a light pair of approach skis for ice climbing . With all the stuff on the net + ski swaps I need a list of skis that would fit the bill. With a climbing pack I top out at about 150 lbs and will be setting them up with Silvrettas. Need steel edges for those non-pow days.

Your list?

Steve

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather skin in with a dynafit set up and carry my ice climbing boots than try and ski out on my climbing boots. You may not get hurt on the climb, just on the ski out. Try a flexible 3 buckle AT and ice climb with them. It is not that bad, and if you find it is, than carry the extra weight for the other boots.

Or just slowshoe.

I had 2 starts to bc skiing. Once as a kid when there were the super old school cable bindings and downhill bindings my dad got me out in the bc; that's a pretty funny story but let's skip that.

When I did start bc skiing on my own the only boots that I could find were the standard downhill stuff or climbing boots. Climbing boots were a hell of a lot better than the available ski boots, but they still sucked.

Skiing in climbing boots is really hard. You have to really focus on holding your lower legs in proper form for skiing. I'd say if you do that kind of skiing plan on doing a lot of step kicking and side slipping. It's better than stupid shoes, but only slightly better.