Shipping gear to Vegas, or fly with it?

Sherri

I flew with my gear once last year(as checked baggage) without any problems, but I've heard folks mentioning that they ship their gear to their destination.

Pro's, con's of doing this vs. flying with it(aside from the obvious risk of having the airline LOSE your gear and ruin the whole trip. :crazy:)

Do you send it to one of those "Mailboxes, Etc" places, or is there a better option?

Not heading to Red Rocks until November, so I've got a little time to sort out the logistics.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've flown in and out of Vegas numerous times with gear. I've always carried it on and had no problems. There are enough climbers coming in and out of Vegas that security knows what climbing gear looks like. I would be pretty nervous about my trip being ruined due to the airlines loosing my gear. Just make sure there is nothing sharp in with your stuff and it should be ok.

I've flown with gear to Vegas (as well as various parts of the world) without much problem. I've only ever had one issue--I had overpacked a bag and a rope blew out the end of the bag. I actually saw it on the tarmac while loading up (it was in Peru, and they aren't very picky about people walking around to get to the plane--IOW they don't put you thru a habitrail to get onto every plane. I saw my rope and started walking to my bag--they got a bit upset about that. But it all got straightened out.

Also, you can and should insure your bag for the amount new gear would cost you. Ruining your one climbing trip is nothing compared to losing all your gear. Oh, and flying non-stop brings your chances of getting a bag lost even lower.

Enjoy RR, and if you do Epinepherine, I will weep with envy.

Enjoy RR, and if you do Epinepherine, I will weep with envy.

Maybe you should come with us. I could use a rope-gun for that one. ;)

I've never insured baggage before--do you do it through your home owner's, or through one of the online travel sites(like Orbitz, where I got my ticket)?

Seems like you'd be asking for scrutiny and potential hassle trying to schlep all that through airport security. They thought tweezers were weapons, for pete's sake. :noway:

You insure it right there at the counter. And I'll bet they are much tighter about what you actually carry on with you. I only carry my harness (I take off the chalk bag) and my shoes on with me. I figure that way no matter what happens, I can still climb. And I won't get hassled getting on. Oh, also, if you decide to try and carry stuff on and they say no, you may not have the option to say to check it and insure it. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But I am a little like that--there are hundreds of people who never had an issue.

The only hassles I've had is the stove - I use a jetboil and have printed up the TSA and airline rules so I can show them if I need to, and I usually carry it on (within the rules for compressed gas stoves) because I don't trust the cretins in the checked baggage area to know the rules (and confiscate my much-needed stove). Still, I've spent as much as 20 minutes while everyone behind the counter sniffs my stove (like cops burning a farming operation).

I usually get the checked bag with the ice screws, crampons and ice tools opened with the little card inserted to let me know it's been opened. It looks like what it is on the little x-ray display, so I can't imagine what they want to see.

If you're gear is overweight it's cheaper to ship it than to pay the overweight fee.

If you're staying in a hotel call ahead and see if they can hold it for you. I have friends who ship video production equipment and that's what they do - and have never had problems doing that (as opposed to theft and damage from checking it as baggage).