Cycling: tips for cold feet?

Sherri

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point CP, and for the people with really extreme circumstances, you may have Raynauds Disease (Phenom.) , for which there are some very effective treatments.

Agreed, CP, is right on.

I get the Raynaud's in my fingers after a run or ride, even if it's not very cold out...freaky when they start turning unnatural colors. :toad:

Have you been successfully treated for this, Couiloir?

If you are serious rider then I would suggest getting some winter shoes that accomadate more socks, but even with more socks it might not help keep your feet warm. I used to commute 20 miles one way when I was living in Maine, I worked second shift and it could get quite cold at midnight. I used Neoprene socks similar to the one that you are buying they work pretty good, if you allow your feet to warm them up before riding and use a wind barrier bootie. Cycling draw a lot of blood to your legs that are working at the sacrifice of circulation at the extremites. Even though I would be bundled up, I would still have cold hands, arms, feet and butt on cold rides. Luckily for me though I am not thermally challenged.

Have you been successfully treated for this, Couiloir?

My wife has had it all her life and a couple of years back she took a vasodilator drug (don't remember which one) that worked very well. She avoids the cold when she can but would take it again if it were really necessary.