[TR] Chiwaukum Range traverse - Point 7534 to Snowgrass Peak 9/14/2007

Casey_Ruff

Trip: Chiwaukum Range traverse - Point 7534 to Snowgrass Peak

Date: 9/14/2007

Trip Report:

After being apart for the entire summer, Morgan and I decided to get reacquainted by spending a few days cruising in the Chiwaukum range this past weekend. We approached via Whitepine and Wildhorse Creek trails and then made our way up to Deadhorse Pass. We tagged Point 7534 and enjoyed nice views before dropping down to Larch Lake for the evening.

Casey approaches Deadhorse pass

P9141183.JPG

Morgan climbing the ridge of Point 7534

212.JPGmorgan_summit.JPG

Morgan approaches camp at Larch Lake

P9141223.JPG

The next morning we gained east ridge of Big Chiwaukum by scrambling up a NE facing rib dividing Cup and Larch Lakes. We dropped down onto the east facing cirque of Big Chiwaukum and continued up some interesting solid rock features. Nice views of Lake Charles and the Glacier Creek drainage were had.

morgan_camp.JPGmorgan_east_ridge.JPG

Morgan hikes towards the ramp we climbed to gain the summit ridge of Big Chiwaukum

morgan_east_side.JPG

We decided to gain the summit ridge of Big Chiwaukum via a chossy ramp through the cliffs on the east side rather than crossing the entire cirque over to the south side near Snowgrass thus having to backtrack to gain the summit of Big Chiwaukum. Morgan did a great job dealing with the junky rock and a bit of exposure. Once we gained the ridge, it was just a short jaunt to one of the false summits. Morgan relaxed on the false summit while I scrambled over to the true summit for a bit. The views of Sloan, Daniel, the Stuart range etc. were amazing.

Morgan on the Junk en route to the summit ridge

morgan_chossy_ledge.JPGmorgan_scramble_1.JPG

Casey on the true summit

casey_true_summit.JPG

Nice view of the Stuart Range

morgan_with_stuart_view.JPGmorgan_and_casey_on_top.JPG

After relaxing in the sun for a while we made our way down to upper Grace Lake via the west shoulder and set up camp for the night. I wanted to give Snowgrass a shot via a crumbly ramp up to a saddle between the subsidiary E summit and the true summit of Snowgrass. Once I topped out on the ridge I decided I was done with the junk and took in the views of the Stuart Range before descending back to camp.

Upper Grace Lake Camp with Sloan in the background

upper_grace_camp.JPG

Climbing the ramp towards Snowgrass and view from the ridge

snowgrass_choss_1.JPGstuart_range_from_snowgrass.JPG

We had a nice evening enjoying the sunset and watching the approaching weather engulf the distant mountains. We awoke to thick clouds and had an uneventful but nice hike out. We saw quite a few horse packing deer hunters on the trail out.

Sunset view from Camp

sunset_view_1.JPGsunset_view_3.JPG

Thank you to Morgan for such a fun and memorable trip.

Approach Notes:

White Pine and Wildhorse Creek trails

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic