Olympics weather question

chucK

Hey there all you Olympics-familiar climbers!

I'm considering the Mt. Cruiser area for a backpack at end of September and have a couple of quick q's.

Is this area dry (i.e. is it in that famous Olympics rainshadow)?

Any thoughts on Flapjack Lakes versus Mildred Lakes?

I would guess Mildred Lakes have less red tape. Could be good (obvious reasons), could be bad (bunch of drunk hunters?).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It really isn't in the rain shadow that Sequim and even up to Mt. Erie enjoy, but it doesn't get near as much rain as the Wet End (West Side).

shadow_close2.jpg

I have only approached via Mildred (a couple times during that dry winter), but I think that is a nice way to go in, but if you're looking to do more hiking you'll probably want to go in via the other side, unless you just want a quick hike in, a climb or two, and then a hike out.

If you go Flapjacks it is longer mileage-wise, but you've got a well maintained trail nearly the whole way. To go via Mildred Lakes is to take its "way"-trail, and then crash around to the opposite side of the lakes and up. Some folks have had a hard time following this trail, most notably when hiking in the dark. If you're unfamiliar with Sawtooth Ridge you might also have a difficult time figuring out which point of rock is Cruiser and which gully to go up from the Mildred side. The guidebook has all sketches and most descriptions detailed from the Flapjacks side.

Weather-wise, just go for it unless the forecast is horrendous. You never know what you'll get up there even on cloudy days down here (i.e. Puget Lowland).