Church of Climbing

EWolfe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If climbers could actually work together and have some kind of coalition a lobby and gain some political influence we could work towards our own agenda rather than being at the whim of others who do not understand our needs.

fuck that. What is "our" agenda? Fortunately, I doubt very much the climbing community is cohesive enough for this to work. The last thing I want is some fucking group to decides what "our agenda" is.

Climbing is a way of communing with the very nature of existance. Standing atop a remote summit, viewing the world, I am reminded of the complete and utter insignifigance of humanity, and I am awed by the beautiful, but simple fact, that the universe even exists at all.

Humans and all the bullshit emotions and rules and laws and definitions that we cling to completely ruin that emptiness. Climbing as a religion must be equally without formal rules, organization or dogma, lest you destroy the very thing that makes it special.

:yoda:

that is the very essence of the Tao. and the most challenging and simple way to live.

and ignoring that the rest of the world exists does not make it go away. i wish it did. with all my heart and being. i agree with you and disagree with you all at the same time. In my heart i would rather hike and climb and be unencumbered by rules and barriers and inhibitions created by a society that i do not agree with. yet i can also see that the rest of society does exist and the longer i am on this planet the more i am forced to live by other peoples rules becuase i have not been willing to make my own.

you are right. i do not believe climbers will ever organize. and i think the sport will be lost and outlawed because of that. perhaps not in our life times... but it will happen. it is already happening. slowly while we are not looking the natural places that are left are shrinking, being purchased, fenced off so you have to pay to enter, and being pillaged for the "greater good."

*sigh*