Rock Shoe Care & Resoling

rock-ice

I recently bought my first pair of rock shoes and want to make them last. So, I was wondering if you could throw at me some tips for cleaning and overall taking care of them, since I am new to this branch of the sport. I am most interested in learing how to insure the sole doesn't wareout any quicker than they have to.

Also, how do you tell when your shoes need to be resoled?

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

practice footwork....dragging your toe is prolly the fastest way to wear out shoes....

also practice footwork.....

did i mention that footwork is key to making your shoes last and making that next move that seems undoable??

also practice footwork...

shoes inevetiably wear out....

you will be able to tell when it is time to resole!

have fun

Right on! Climbing is the coolest sport there is and buying shoes is the first step. I remember telling my dad I wanted climbing shoes for Christmas and he was psyched to buy me some big burly leather mountaineering boots. He was disappointed when he saw these pink ballet style shoes that I wanted. He was all, "What's with these gay shoes?" He didn't understand why I would want little fairy slippers when I could get big manly boots. Teenagers are always misunderstood by their fathers. Anyway...

Most beginners drag their toes up the rock and this is where your shoes will wear out first. Like Erik said, place your feet decisively. Don't drag your toes.

If your shoes develop a hard gloss on the outside of the rubber you can rub them with sandpaper to give them that "sticky" feel again.

You can tell your shoes need to be resoled when you wear all the way through the rubber and you can see the colored leather underneath.

I think climbing on plastic indoors wears out your shoes faster than natural rock so climb outside as much as you can.

Have fun!!!