Adams South - glassading?

rangerBeezer

Hey all:

Planning on a trip up the south side of Adams August 21-22... I'm just curious if anyone has been up there recently and what I should expect for glassading down. I've been up there before, but it was earlier in the season. I know Rainier doesn't have much snow, so I'm wondering what the south side of Adams is like.

Thanks for any help!

Scott

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Glissading" conditions constantly vary and will depend on weather/temps, snow conditions, time of day, etc. If you don't want to wear holes in your expensive Gore-Tex, best to glissade down on your boots (if yer skilled enuf) or better yet a board or two, and for God's sakes, take off your crampons! ;)

There's ALWAYS rocks on that glissade.

Okay, how much? Most of the trip? I recall glissading most of the way from the south summit to lunch counter a few years back. We did encounter a few rocks, but nothing bad. I just want to know if it is more melted out than usual at this time of the year........

Just got off the south face. theres a bit of glassading but be careful. the snow fields run directly into rock so be sure to stop clear of that. we watched a few folks slide into the rock. looked like it hurt too! the clouds moved in the day after we got off so probly a bit a fresh snow. good luck and be safe