• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jackthenewb

Temps. in the alaska range?

during day - warm when sunny, not warm when cloudy

at night (alaskan night) - cold

sorry but I couldn't help myself. I hope someone who knows can answer as I am curious myself.

If you are talking april/may it can really vary. Generally speaking plan of freezing your balls off. Sure it gets warm (feels like 50-60) but at night it can frequently drop well below zero so bring a warm ass sleeping bag and booties for night life and camp livin.

i was thinking more like June late may. thanks for the advice. if I have a down jacket booties and down pants what temp rating would i need for my sleeping bag

You won't likely need down pants during that time in the Ruth, day or night. A 10F bag at basecamp would be plenty warm enough.

In June, when the sun is out during the day, you're likely to be climbing in a t-shirt.

thanks w looks like a lot of up on denali. I will be backpacking so

I wont really have a basecamp. During this time (probably from may 20-june 10) is everything still snow covered?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'backpacking' around the Gorge area- are you going mountaineering, or hiking/bushwhacking in the lower realms? Travel in the Gorge even well into summer will be most effective with skis, even off the main glaciers. If you're talking about just hiking around the foothills or smaller peaks below or to the east of the Ruth, there likely will still be snow down to about 1000'; that's about the time also that the snowpack starts to come down and there is a lot of avalanching especially on south faces.

If you a re going to be knocking around in the Ruth, I recommend "Alaska Climbing" by Joe Puryear. It's available on Supertopo.com. It has great info and photos.

Jedi

well what I meant by backpacking is that I'm not going to be summiting one particular mountain. So skis are the best for travel in the gorge. what about snowshoes? will crampons just sink in? The only reason I said backpacking is because I didn't know what you meant by base camping. how much mountaineering gear will I need? I was thinking just being roped up on the glacier with an ice ax and crampons. But will I need a full rack.

Dude, get a grip. Do your homework. It's just going to piss people off if they have to come save your newbie ass.

sorry,that was a stupid question. I really am not planning on going out there with this information I'm just trying to get basic info, you won't have to come and save "my newbie ass".