Rope washing with Downy Fabric softeners

DanielHarro

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that washing your climbing rope and adding Downy or any fabric softener is a good thing, gives that rope some added lubricant. Any thoughts?

Your wife will love that flowery smell!

I stick with Woolite and that alone, and haven't heard any rope mfg recommend Downy as safe: but you'd think it would be ok as it doesn't ruin other fabrics.

It seems to be a bad idea. Here is a quote from "On Rope", Padgett and Smith, 1992, published by the National Speleological Society. I consider this a reliable source as this book is the equivalent of "Freedom of the Hills" in caving circles.

"All indications point to the fact that fabric softeners are not a good idea. Fabric softeners have from time to time been recommended as a way of softening well used stiff ropes. Instead, recent tests on aging rope indicate fabric softeners substantially weaken rope. It is proposed that this weakening is due to bonding of free hydrogen molecules from the softener to the nylon polymer, actually changing the molecular structure of the rope's nylon." pg. 24