[TR] Lady Pk, Knight Pk, & Baby Munday in a Day

Trip: Lady Peak, Knight Peak, and Baby Munday in a Day -

Date: 8/5/2007

Trip Report:

My friend's dad had been trucking for too long and was complaining that he wasn't getting to go anywhere fun so we decided that it was about time for a good long day trip in the Cheam Range. We decided that we would drive up to the Cheam Peak Trailhead and cross underneath Lady, climb L1 and L2 (smaller peaks beetween Lady and Knight Peaks) then we would take the Northwest Ridge up and over Knight Peak then climb Baby Munday Peak.

We left at about 6:30 AM and arrived at the trailhead around 7:30. It was a beautiful day and the sun was just starting to come up over Lady Peak. We followed the Cheam Trail past spoon Lake and up through the trees but cut up towards Lady Peak at the first long gravel scar running down the mountain, we followed the scar up the mountain for a few hundred feet before turning right towards Knight Peak. We had to cross a gully or two and then climbed right to the base of the Ears of Lady Peak.

We crossed above another gully along the base of the cliffs and then we decided that instead of continuing beneath the cliffs we could ascend Lady Peak and then take the summit Ridge all the way down to the Lady/Knight Col. We climbed up the Ears of Lady until we reached the Summit Ridge and then started following following it down towards L1, L2 and Knight. There were a couple of exposed parts on the ridge but nothing we couldn't figure out fairly easily until we reached a large block protruding from the ridge.

We tried traversing it around the right hand side but it ended in some rather technical (appeared to be around 5.9) down climbing that we weren't comfortable doing with no gear (if it wasn't for that several hundred foot fall it would have been easy!). We then tried the left hand side above the glaciers but the rock was overhanging steeply above a lower ledge and was basically forcing us over the edge of the mountain.

Realizing that we couldn't get around the block without risking our lives very seriously we quickly descended the way we had come up and quickly reached the L1 and L2 peaks between Lady Peak and Knight Peak. L1 was steep and made of rotten rock but we climbed it up and down in about 10 minutes and started to quickly traverse over to L2, L2 looked a bit boring and pointless so we traversed under it until we reached a nasty gully and ascended the small peak until we were above the gully and able to cross.

From there we ran over to Knight Peak along the meadows and snow slopes until we reached the base of the NW ridge. The ridge was an easy class 3 scramble and we progressed up the mountain at a good pace, we traversed over to the NW face and back a couple times and the climbing continued to stay at class 3. Knight Peak wasn't technically difficult in any way but it was a good test of endurance. I, for one, was quite pumped by the time I reached the summit.

We took a break at the summit to watch as some pshycotic mountain goats ran, with their young baby goats, down the North Face of Knight Peak to get away from us. Those Goats were very irresponsible...I mean they made their babies run down the massive North face of Knight with no ropes or anything!!!!

From the top of Knight we looked at Baby Munday and it looked like the North Couloir would be a good way to the top but after descending Knight and arriving at the base of it we decided that it looked insane as we had no gear with us and traversed around to the, what I think is, the SW ridge. To acquire the Ridge from the base of the Westerly face we took a small gully in the mountain that became a 10 ft chimney ending in a ledge with a large rock jammed in the gully above it. It looked like we could traverse to the right to get around the chockstone but the route ended in a large smooth cliff.

By the time that Lorne and Allan were coming back from checking out the right hand route I was already halfway up an over hanging piece of rock leading around the left hand side. With a little support from Allan I managed to get up and around the top of the cliff up another easy scrambly bit and onto the ridge. Although the overhanging ledges were probably only around a 5.3 it was very exposed and got my heart going a little bit faster. From the Ridge to the summit of Baby Munday was easy and only had a couple of exposed steps when nearing the summit.

After we reached the top we took our photos and descended the ridge, on the ridge I found a nice strap in very good condition just sitting on a rock and since there was nobody else in the area I stole it...he he he.

We descended the East side of the mountain after descending most of the ridge and when we realized we were tired and running out of daylight we ran down the Baby Munday trail and hiked all the way down Airplane Creek FSR to Foley Creek where some campers on their way to Vedder very kindly gave us a ride to Vedder where we were picked up by Allan's wife. He has to go with Lorne and collect his car tomorrow...ha ha.

Altogether we had an awesome trip and all the mountains were class 3 except for that block on Lady's summit ridge and a couple of pieces on Baby Munday...also I don't recommend hiking all the way down Airplane creek FSR amd leaving your car in the Cheam Parking Lot. Pictures coming Soon.

Gear Notes:

we had no gear at all, well... I brought three apple juices but that isn't really gear.

Approach Notes:

Approaching Baby Munday from Cheam is awesome..It is long and tiring but you climb Knight Peak and the views are fantastic!

P8040018.jpg

P8040025.jpg

P8040035.jpg

P8040048.jpg

P8050068.jpg

P8050080.jpg

P8050110.jpg

P8050126.jpg

----065.jpg

----079.jpg

----025.jpg

P8050139.jpg