Fox News Took Over the NYT!!!!

JayB

Proof:

A War We Just Might Win

By MICHAEL E. O’HANLON and KENNETH M. POLLACK

IEWED from Iraq, where we just spent eight days meeting with American and Iraqi military and civilian personnel, the political debate in Washington is surreal. The Bush administration has over four years lost essentially all credibility. Yet now the administration’s critics, in part as a result, seem unaware of the significant changes taking place.

Here is the most important thing Americans need to understand: We are finally getting somewhere in Iraq, at least in military terms. As two analysts who have harshly criticized the Bush administration’s miserable handling of Iraq, we were surprised by the gains we saw and the potential to produce not necessarily “victory” but a sustainable stability that both we and the Iraqis could live with.

After the furnace-like heat, the first thing you notice when you land in Baghdad is the morale of our troops. In previous trips to Iraq we often found American troops angry and frustrated — many sensed they had the wrong strategy, were using the wrong tactics and were risking their lives in pursuit of an approach that could not work.

Today, morale is high. The soldiers and marines told us they feel that they now have a superb commander in Gen. David Petraeus; they are confident in his strategy, they see real results, and they feel now they have the numbers needed to make a real difference.....

Michael E. O’Hanlon is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. Kenneth M. Pollack is the director of research at the Saban Center for Middle East Policy at Brookings.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread already happened, sorta.

while i like the nytimes and read it all the time, it's good to keep in mind that they often come out very pro-isreal. whether or not the war is working it helps isreal to have US troops there. anyway this editorial piece seems to be based on some reporters impressions of the atmosphere or something. i'd say we still have to see, eh?

Still, it's good to hear from credible sources like O'Hanlon and Pollack that they found no reason to doubt the Bush claim that Iraq is a safer place to be than American cities. Had I previously understood that a warzone is such a comparatively safer, peaceful place to be, then I too, just like O'Hanlon and Pollack, would have supported the war long ago.