BD Hotline

Bronco

I noticed in the most recent Rock and Ice mag an article about smaller diameter ropes. As a recent purchaser of a BD Hotline on special for $109 I was interested in the article.

As it turns out, a German climbing magazine (Klettern) did some independant tests of the Hotline (and some others) but found the Hotline failed consitently "BEFORE 5 FALLS". The 2001 BD catolog claims 7 falls which I considered when purchasing the rope.

I am not going to return the rope as I think I got what I paid for, (70m dry rope for $109) and plan to only use it in the mountains, but, at the same time I can't help but feel like maybe the test results had something to do with the discounted price and feel a little decieved. [Mad]

they are still avaiable here: BD Specials

[ 05-24-2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Bronco ]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising really. I've talked to a number of rope industry folks and most seem to have tales of test results falling below test expectations when it comes to small ropes. It seems that although these ropes can pass a UIAA test when taken out of the plastic bag, if used for a week of climbing (even sans falls), they fail much more easily. Note however that most of these conversations (at least the most interesting ones) took place prior to the widespread introduction of super skinny cords. At the time concern was centered around sub 60g singles.

GB

beal is the actual manufacture of bd ropes.

granted the little guy wore out pretty quick, but i thought as far ropes go it was pretty nice....

plus with 70m rope they can just keep gettin shorter and shorter and shorter!!!!!