mascular

Sherri

Get out your pencils and dictionaries, folks. We've got a new word.

I overheard it in the locker room at the gym, when a gaggle of girly tweens were gossipping about a classmate who apparently works out a lot. They said she had "really mascular arms." Judging by their tone, it was not a compliment.

Should have seen the embarrassed silence that came over them when I walked around the corner. :lmao:

OMG, do I have mascular arms??? :o

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is mascular a deliberate portmanteau of masculine and muscular or were they just stoned?

Young and impressionable, perhaps, but not stoned. The thing that interested me most about their unintentional coinage of this term was the way they were using it inferred that muscularity is a masculine trait which is inappropriate for a woman to exhibit. I highly doubt their classmate was ripped, so I can't help but wonder what it was about a girl having an athletic appearance that incited them to badmouth her efforts to take care of herself.

She didn't fit into the mold of what a "girl" was supposed to look like? :noway:

Personally, I hope that strong girl keeps working hard, and when she's out doing triathalons and sports events long after those other girls can climb a flight of stairs without getting winded, I hope she runs into them signing up for some fluff fitness class at the gym and laughs at what their arms look like now.

Rather than listen to the words they use, listen to the motivation behind the statement. They were just in a gym with someone who made them look bad. They can either admit failure, or put her down. The comment was not about her muscles, it was about their lack thereof.

While we are on the subject, don't you just hate those jerks who climb the hard routes. Darn anti-fat jerks.

Is mascular a deliberate portmanteau of masculine and muscular or were they just stoned?

Young and impressionable, perhaps, but not stoned. The thing that interested me most about their unintentional coinage of this term was the way they were using it inferred that muscularity is a masculine trait which is inappropriate for a woman to exhibit. I highly doubt their classmate was ripped, so I can't help but wonder what it was about a girl having an athletic appearance that incited them to badmouth her efforts to take care of herself.

She didn't fit into the mold of what a "girl" was supposed to look like? :noway:

Personally, I hope that strong girl keeps working hard, and when she's out doing triathalons and sports events long after those other girls can climb a flight of stairs without getting winded, I hope she runs into them signing up for some fluff fitness class at the gym and laughs at what their arms look like now.

Jealous, they were.

I hope she runs into them today.

And beats the shit out of them.

That was one of my thoughts, too, Arch. :eveeel:

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with being soft, pretty, delicate, and all that, if that's your thing. But it's not everyone's ideal and it's not every woman's inherent identity. Femme, butch, jock, lipstick, tomboy, whatever...it's all good, long as you're being real. And willing to accept that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes.

It bothered me to see them attempt to quash that little girl's potential. But, as has been pointed out, she'll probably come out on top. :battlecage:

Sad thing is that those other poor girls will be the ones who go to the gym, get a trainer, and then say they want to lift to firm up but don't want to get "big arms".

Phhtt. As if all they had to do is lift their puny little five pound dumb bells and suddenly they'll look like Cory Everson. I hate those bitches. It totally dismisses all the work a lifter does. It keeps feeding this ridiculous belief that men are all the same and all want their women to have thin arms. It "excuses" them from doing any real work in the gym for fear of actually getting some muscle. And it denies the beauty of musculature. Or masculature--whichever turns you on.

Like Martina Navritalova?

Muscularity and sexual orientation are two different things. Or should be. And I don't think Martina is a top. But she is an amazing athlete, if that was your point.

Edited by Sherri