new to olympic climbing

tstartrekdude

I am planning on going on a trip to the olympic peninsula this september, and am looking for some eazy climbing to do. i know nothing of the plance, so i was wondering what climbs you guys would suggest. one more thing i am in good(cycing 250 miles a week) shape but am brand new to climbing.

Edited by tstartrekdude

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are limited areas with rock (Sawtooth Ridge or the Needles and a few other places) that is of quality that really allows "rock climbing" (and the rock in the Olympics is complete choss compared to granite found in the Cascades), but if you're looking for 3-4th class scrambles that are tons of places. Get a copy of the Oly Mtn Guide and sift through the TRs here...and of course it is hard to go wrong with just going exploring out there on your own.

In September you won't have a lot of snow sitting around to cover up the rubble heaps. Some of the easier scrambles include Ellinor and Washington, both of which are easily accessible and have stunning views. Neither is technical (there is a trail to the top of Ellinor).

Further into the interior there are more options. Sentinal is a nice walk with good views. Fromme is close to that and also looks good, though I haven't been up it. Mounts Townsend and Angeles qualify as easy climbing, though I haven't done either. I'd stay off anything big, like Deception or Mystery, at that time of year.

Yes, it does depend on the definition of "climbing" doesn't it. But then you can have fun with "easy" climbing in the Olympics, though as far a rock the quality is much better elsewhere.

But if your definition of "climbing" includes scrambles and "hikes", then the Olys are great. Not that I'm promoting them!