new petzl helmet

geordie

checked out the new petzl Elios Class helmet at FF. Much like the BD halfdome except 100g lighter, $20 cheaper, and a cool adjusta knob on the back. Looked pretty slick. Anyone heard anything different? (Next time I break my helmet, I just might replace it with this one...)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just replaced my busted Ecrin with the Elios. Fit is great. I really like the one adjustment knob instead of two. Jim Nelson is selling it for $52 plus tax at Pro-Mountain Sports. Comes in three sizes, but unless you have a really huge mellon you will only need sizes 1 or 2. It is lighter than the comparable Camp helmet by 3oz but is also $3 more. Not a bad trade off if you ask me. The Elios weighed in at 9 or 10ozs on the scale at Jim's shop.

Some small details you might or might not care about. The outer shell is smaller, e.g. it doesn't flare out over your ears like the Ecrin or other full sized helmets. The recommended temperature range is smaller. The Elios is not recommended to be used where the temperature is over 96F whereas the Ecrin is ok to use to over 125F. Not sure what happens to the plastic when it reaches this temperature, nor if you would really want to be climbing when it is over 125F.

Greg

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: Gerg ]

quote:

Originally posted by geordie:
Much like the BD halfdome except 100g lighter,

Is it really 100 g's lighter? Did you guys put them both on a scale?

BD claims that the Half Dome weights 432 g's however I have not weight one myself. BD's website also claims my BP hammer weights 750 g's but with a pick and leash it actually weights 810 g's

I have been looking at the Half Dome lately to replace my old Edlerid Ultralight "Conehead". I have tried the Ecrin Roc and the Half Dome fits my large melon much better, epecially when wearing a liner.

Consume mass quantities.....

quote:

Originally posted by Gerg:
I confirmed this when I weighed one this weekend (see earlier post).[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: Gerg ]

Gerg ... sorry about that, must of had my head up my ass and missed that part....

Rodchester..... 1 lb = 453.6 grams