[TR] Mt Baker - Coleman - Deming 6/8/2007

jhflying

Trip: Mt Baker - Coleman - Deming

Date: 6/8/2007

Trip Report:

With sunny skies on Friday and a forecast storm for Sat AM, 7 of us headed up the Coleman-Deming Glacier route. The trail was snow-free for the first mile. No major problems crossing the streams in the morning. Camped at 7,200' under the Black Buttes.

Alpine start at 3am under clear skies, but ominous lenticular cloud off the summit. Wind was howling at the saddle and we could see the storm clouds coming from the west. Storm hit while going up the Roman Wall, but we continued to the summit in a white out.

Sadly, freezing level was high at 8-9,000, so it was blowing sleet. Ice covered everything, including goggles, so had to brunt the storm with no eye prot. Returned to tents, which were covered in ice, in howling winds, horizontal rain / sleet. Ah, climbing in the NW!

Thanks to the team ahead of us who removed their .25 wands on their descent. Sure, I should / could have wanded it next to their wands, but who removes wands in a white out when another party is behind them. Bad form, in my book.

John

Gear Notes:

pickets, wands, rain gear.

Approach Notes:

Heliotrope Ridge trailhead open and dry. 1st mile snow free.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice images and way to persevere in the storm.

Yeah, they could have left their wands assuming that you'd pick them up...but I find it odd that you would (presumably) encounter this group in person and not communicate about the wands when you had a chance, but then slam them later online and anonymously...

bad form, in MY book!

So you're supposed to automatically give up all your wands if you encounter another party w/o any wands?

I guess I need to brush up on my wand etiquette - but anyway I don't bother with wands anymore (I lost them all to a party that pulled this trick on Glacier Peak about 8 years ago - but at least they did stop and say "please leave your wands in or else we'll never find our way back down")

Trip: Mt Baker - Coleman - Deming

Date: 6/8/2007

[

Thanks to the team ahead of us who removed their .25 wands on their descent. Sure, I should / could have wanded it next to their wands, but who removes wands in a white out when another party is behind them. Bad form, in my book.

John

Gear Notes:

pickets, wands, rain gear.

Approach Notes:

Heliotrope Ridge trailhead open and dry. 1st mile snow free.

Nice that you had wands, that indicates that you were prepared to be self-relient. Isn't that one of the great feelings of mountaineering? You had pickets as well, if one of your party fell in a crevasse would you have been counting on a rescue by someone else?

I'm not trying to tear you down, but you can't reasonably expect anyone but the people who are your partners to take responsibilty for you.

I agree that that was my mistake. However, the winds were howling and communication difficult. Next time, I'll place my own wands, and leave them for another party if needed.

You could probably hear the fear in my writings, since it could have turned bad if I got our group lost over the North Ridge. Live and learn ...

John

Crevasses were still covered except for the small ice fall on the upper Coleman. The large crevasse cutting across the upper Coleman from the black buttes required some navigating out to the middle of the upper coleman. The roman wall was in great early season shape.

I'll be up there again this weekend with a group. We'll be under the black buttes again.

John