Sharp picks.

Terminal_Gravity

Is there such a thing as too sharp for water ice?

First, if it is so sharp that it will catch and cut your cloths with minimal pressure it sure is a pain in the [Moon]

Second, from my limited experience, a very sharp pick seems to roll the edge and dull worse when you hit rock.

Third, from my experience in construction, a dulled nail is far less likely to split the wood than a sharp one. Does this hold true for fracturing ice?

My guess is that an experienced climber with a lot more finesse than climbing hard, dense ice would want extra sharp picks. But a hack & grunt climber like myself wants them butter knife sharp.

Comments?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a pick sharpened like a knife myself just recently. It rolls pretty nicely when hit on rock wink.gif" border="0

The perfect angle is a trade off between penetration and durability. I think that the penetration occurs/starts at the point and not the edge of the pick so a correct shape is more important. Mags posted the correct shape several times last couple of years. BD Cobra comes almost perfect out of the factory.

I also think that once the first tooth is filed off it is impossible to repair it adequately, even disregarding the length. Anybody?