Ski compatability of Koflach Degre?

jared_j

While researching double plastic mountaineering boots, I came across this blurb on the ems.com website http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442585170 regarding the Koflach Degre:

"KOFLACH Degre Boots

Designed for winter hiking, the Degre is compatible with Randonee ski bindings and nearly every kind of crampon and snowshoe. "

I realize compatibility does not mean high performance per se, but does anyone here use their Koflachs on skis? If so, to what degre (pun intended) of success?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like about the same as my Lowa Civettas in terms of height and stiffness. I ski with mine, with the addition of a power strap stolen from some old alpine ski boots strapped around the upper cuff, only on the downhill. A few ounces that add a significant skiing capability to otherwise marginal ski boots. The only AT bindings I can think of that the Koflachs would work with would be SIlveretta 500's. Search this site for other discussions of that binding. I like my 500's. Just don't expect the power of a dedicated AT boot for your turns. Its more like skiing with leather alpine boots and long thongs from the 1950's. Yet people skied big lines then too.

I will second that. There are several boots that will work with certain AT bindings. I always find that there is just not quite enough boot to drive the skis. But if you ski not too agressive it is nice to not carry the extra weight of climbing boots in and out.

I skiied with my Koflach Verticals and it's ok for approaching climb, but sucky for touring (blisters)

Same boot, same complaint. I thought I could look past the lack of ankle support, but I'm using Megarides now, and I think I was crazy thinking that the Verticals would suffice.

I use Koflach Degre's for splitboarding using plate bindings. They work sweet for going up and so so for going down. I use them for both ascent and descent all the time. Beats packing two sets of boots, since most snowboarding boots wont except the crampons I use. You can ride in them just fine, just lacks a little ankle support. However, I would not use them to ride on any terrain where if you fall you die. They work fine on moderate slopes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've skiied in plastics. Was fine for easy backcountry stuff but when we decided to do a few runs on the groomers on the way out I was miserable. Someone told me to take a crazy carpet and make inserts to put inside them to give a little more support higher up. Never tried it but he said he'd found that it helped a lot.