Nepal Extremes vs Plastics

epb

Was wondering if they would be a good subsitute for plastics. I'm not a big fan of plastics, they're big bulky and uncomfortable. Personally I would like to get rid of my Invernos for ever. The only benifit to plastics, seems to be their added warmth and removable liners. However, the Extremes have some sort of insulation that no other leathers have, so I was wondering if they could match a good pair of plastics for warmth or what? If they can match them for warmth, what are disadvantages to the Extremes? Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo epb,wassabi?

It's good to have both. The thing about leathers,is on multi-day trips you can't dry them out, ifand when they get wet. Yes, there are VB socks,but they can still get wet on longer trips. Forice/mixed climbs, the Sportiva's can't be beat,but if your going to climb Rainier, or higheraltitude, you'll want those plastics! The abilityto pop the liner out and throw it in your sleepingbag overnight to dry them out, could end up savingyou some toes. [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

Seen other posts like this on this site and the responce is the same. What are you gonna use them for? Pure ice climbing? Stick with good leathers like nepal tops. I've the uninsulated one for 4 years now and love them for pure ice. Never even had a cold foot, but I would hate to walk 10 miles in them. Summer glacier walks? Look at the alpha boot. Light and comfortable for long wet walks. Might even be good ice. Denali? Stick with the invernos or something warmer. Doing it all? You will have to buy multiple boots and not complain of the price. There is no boot that does it all. No matter what the goof in the store will tell you.

Suck it up and spend the cash. You won't notice the price when you are out there. smile.gif" border="0

gene