Scarpa Freney and Cerro Torre

Wallstein

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for what its worth Wallstien, I have had a pair of Scarpa Matterhorns which are real similar to the Cerro Torre. I have worn them a bunch and am extreemly happy with them. They take crampons well, edge like a mutha, (the rubber is super sticky), not that great for skiing though, (yes I tried and probably will again [geek] ). Pretty comfy except on flat, hard trails, (like out of Paradise).

Freneys have absolutely no ankle support; they are purely made for ice/mixed and while the boot does have some cushioning for approaches, it would really suck for multi-day, general mountaineering. The Cerro Torres are very cool, but you'll probably find like I did that they have an enormous toe box. Like Bronco, I have a pair of Matterhorns and I love 'em. They're heavier and more substantial than the Torres, but for some reason have a moe precise fit. They come in a version with toasty linings too!

i've got cerro torres and had to size them smaller than usual to get my narrow feet to not slide around. now i have to tape my heels to prevent blisters. despite this minor annoyance, they are comfortable and all-around good stuff. i climbed eldorado and went serac cragging in them -- they worked great on rock, snow, and ice.

quote:

Originally posted by Wallstein:
Anyonne know where in the PNW I can try these boots on. I am yet to find a place that carries the Cerro Torres.

Feathered Friends carries the lime green ones, I think they are the uninsulated version, but should be built on the same last as the red ones.